Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Grown-up Vacation...sort of


I know I've been on sort of a blog hiatus. Shame on me.  But really, I end up thinking to myself, "is anything we're doing that interesting?" and then the even better, "do I really want to take the time to write things down?"  So I'm lazy.  I'm ok with that.  But, I feel I owe it to Jared and myself to keep up with what we're doing at this time in our lives, because although it may not seem interesting to us now, one day  when everything is different we'll want to look back on how things were when we were first married and delightfully boring.  With that said, how 'bout that time we went on a big kid vacation because we could.

The idea started last year when everyone at my work was planning time off for the holidays. Being relatively new, I wasn't able to get extra time on either side of Christmas, so Jared and I decided to take some time the first week of January.  We had originally thought about going somewhere within driving distance, thinking it would be cheaper.  We looked at driving to San Antonio and Austin, but even "on the cheap", it was going to add up fast.  On a whim, I looked up what airports Allegiant Airlines flies to, as we had used them before to go to Vegas last year and they were super cheap.  From there we figured Orlando would be the best ratio of cheap to fun, and we decided to book it!  So, on January 1st, we flew out to Orlando (Sanford, to be clearer) and I drove (more on that later) a little Yaris to our hotel on International Drive in Orlando.

In planning a vacation, one (important) variable we were looking for was somewhere warm.  But as our luck would have it, Orlando experienced a freakish cold front (maybe that was an exaggeration...but whatever) which resulted in us layering clothes like crazy, and buying ridiculously expensive mittens at Universal Studios (again, more on that later).  Also, we had to rent a car to get around, and if you're under 25 you have to pay extra to be a driver. So, (being 10 months older than my 24 year old husband) I ended up driving the entire time (not that driving in a traffic-ridden, unfamiliar metropolis grates my nerves or freaks me out at all) Now that you have the background details, I progress.

Our first full day (and the warmest day) in Orlando, Jared and I got up early and headed out to the Magic Kingdom.  (Yes, I'm aware that the idea was to go on a grown-up vacation since we're adults and can, but...we do what we want, ok?)  We very strategically planned out our "game plan" for hitting all the rides we wanted, and our park map was much consulted.  I dragged Jared on the Dumbo ride, and he let me sit up front on Space Mountain (isn't that what love is really about?)  Just so you don't think he's too awesome, he did laugh every time I screamed on Space Mountain. I mean, there has to be support beams, and you can't see them, so shouldn't you hunch down so you don't get your head knocked off? I don't think I'm unreasonable or any sort of ridiculous... We did also experience the tea cups without barfing, which is saying something for my motion-sickness-prone husband.  (Please refer to the video) After almost 12 hours of exhausting park-wandering, we went to downtown Disney and ate dinner at The House of Blues (Jared's choice).  No bands, but the food was good and it was a lot of fun.

Day two was colder, but we again got up early to head to Universal Studios.  We wore jackets, hoodies, and layers, but somehow Florida smote our plans for decent weather, and we had to buy ridiculously expensive mittens to keep our hands from freezing off. Literally.  Or not. But it was cold.  I kept my hood obnoxiously and fully draw-stringed tight to my face all day.  But, we had a lot of fun hitting up all the fun attractions.  We ate dinner at Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville, and headed back to the hotel to finally be warm and to get some sleep.

Our third day we allowed ourselves to sleep in a little bit, then drove the rental car out to Cocoa Beach to eat lunch out on the deck at Fishlips. (actually in Cape Canaveral) Afterwards we skimmed through the Ron Jon Surf Shop and then walked the beach for a while.  On the way back we hit up an outlet mall, then had dinner at a little gourmet pizza place.  Afterwards we went back to the hotel, packed up, and set our alarms to go off disgustingly early so we could fly home.  


So, that's the gist of our sort of grown-up vacation.  Stay tuned for the next time something we do seems moderately interesting enough for me to write it down.  Although, this last half hour or so has been a lot of fun.  Therapeutic, maybe?   

No comments:

Post a Comment