Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Fall in the Ozarks

So all of a sudden it was fall here in the Ozarks, and Jared and I wanted to get outside and do something fun to enjoy the beautiful weather.  I had the whole weekend off (which hadn't happened in almost a month) and we wanted to do something fun together.  I searched around online for something we could make a day trip out of, and midweek we bought tickets for a scenic train excursion through the mountains on the Arkansas and Missouri Railroad.  It sounded like a great chance to get out of the office and see the beautiful fall colors.  So, first thing Saturday morning we got up and drove about an hour to Van Buren.  Imagine a little downtown area lined with antique shops, an ice cream parlor, beautiful old historic buildings, and of course, a train station.
We park and wait to board the train with all the other senior citizens (apparently I can't pick age appropriate outings-only families with little kids at the pumpkin patch, and old people on the scenic train ride...oh well) and...we're off!  Poor Jared, he is so sweet to humor  me.  Anyway, I am tickled about our old people trip, taking tons of pictures, pointing out the adorable conductor who looks like he's at least 80 years old, and jabbering away like I tend to do.  I think Jared had fun too, but I don't think he'd tell me if he didn't.  After the ride we had lunch at a restaurant in the midst of downtown, and afterwards we walked around and checked out the little antique stores and other shops.  

So, I had fun, I hope Jared did too, but it was nice to spend all day together without work, school or rehearsals getting in the way. 

1 comment:

  1. sounds lovely. glad you have the time to enjoy the beauty of the Ozarks.
    Love you and hello to Jared.

    ReplyDelete